Re: [Trlog] CQ160 and version 6.93

To: "KL7RA" <kl7ra@ptialaska.net>, <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] CQ160 and version 6.93
From: LRod@pobox.com
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 00:06:23 -0000
> I don't remember what they mean or do now of course.

I can help with some of it, if my memory isn't playing tricks:

> @ECHO OFF

The "@" kept DOS from displaying the information in that line. ECHO OFF
kept DOS from displaying any of the subsequent file.

> PROMPT $p$g

If I remember, "$p" caused the active drive/path to be displayed and "$g"
caused the colon to be displayed. Those two lines above were almost
automatic for everyone's autoexec.bat.

> PATH C:\DOS;c:\log

Sets the path(s) that DOS will recognize from anywhere (whatever directory
you happen to be in, no matter how many levels deep, you can still execute
a command in C:\DOS or c:\log just by typing the (executable) filename.

I think all the command line commands were not case sensitive. In the
above line, PATH C:\DOS was probably copied from some existing file and
c:\log was typed in by the user who didn't bother capitalizing it.

> set TZ=UTC

Automatically converts computer time to UTC.

> LH /L:0;1,42384 /S C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE

Well, the specifics are fuzzy, but "LH" meant "load high" which indicated the
area above 640K. I suspect the next characters are the initial address and
the number of bytes to set aside. Don't remember what the switch "\S" did,
and the path/filename was what was to be "loaded high."

> C:\DOS\smartdrv/c

Causes DOS to load smartdrive (don't remember what the switch "/c" did).

> C:

Returns the user to the root directory upon completion of the batch file.

That's how I remember it.

So, there's really only a couple of things that remain "mysterious"--the
parameters for loading smartdrv high and the parameter called when
executing smartdrv. Those should be easy to find on the internet.
--
73, Rod
K4QG

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com
http://www.webbutcher.net

Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Dave Barry

Those who understand binary and those who do not.

In theory there is no difference between theory and
practice, but in practice there is.