VHFcontesting

[VHFcontesting] The Boys of Summer

To: "vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu" <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] The Boys of Summer
From: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 10:19:32 -0600
It occurred to me this morning that being a VHF operator is a lot like being a baseball fan. It was warm and sunny here yesterday, and this morning the air has that first touch of Spring in it. Sure, there are still cold days ahead--but you just have that feeling that we've turned the corner on Winter. The days are getting a bit longer, and the sun doesn't set quite so early anymore.

And like baseball fans, we start to look forward to those first rumblings out of the Spring league.

For me, that means the confident voice of August, K5HCT. Nothing heralds the arrival of the season like those first faint signals and the familiar refrain..."Here Comes Texas!". This is nearly always the first call I hear in the season, and the last remaining on the band at it's end.

In my boyhood days, I loved listening to baseball on the radio at night. Those far away places, and the crack of the bat---mixed with the static and pops of Summer storms. It was like a magic carpet that could transport me thousands of miles away...The rest of the year, I still enjoyed tuning the dial during the overnight hours--maybe listening to the Herb Jepko Nightcap show from Salt Lake, or Larry King---but radio wasn't the same without baseball. And those months between the World Series and Opening Day were the longest of the year.

All these years later, things haven't changed much. I still love listening to baseball on the radio---but now while waiting for opening day, I find myself turning another dial...listening hard in the static to see if I can hear that fain signal on the calling frequency. A deep, rich, confident voice calling "This K5HCT, Here Comes Texas!".

Somebody press play on that MP3 player or I-Phone---cue up Don Henley's "Boys of Summer"...I'll hum along and wait for Spring.

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

6M VUCC #1712
AMSAT #38965
Grid Bandits #222
Southeastern VHF Society
Central States VHF Society Life Member
Six Club #2484

Active on 6 Meters thru 1296, 10GHz & Light