[WriteLog] Comm ports - Where are they?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Comm ports - Where are they?
From: roycraft@research.att.com (Ted Roycraft)
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 13:32:25 -0400
Greg,

In the WriteLog Port Setup screen, unless you change
Writelog.ini (in your Windows directory), you will
see, by default, only COM1, COM2, COM3, and COM4.

You can change any of these to specify a different
port by adding one or more lines like this to
the [PORTS] section of your writelog.ini file ...

CommSlot4=5

What this line does is to modify the fourth com port
slot in the writelog list and if you display the Port
Setup screen, you will now see COM1, COM2, COM3, and COM5.

The default behavior of WriteLog is as if the following
four lines were in the [PORTS] section of Writelog.ini.

CommSlot1=1
CommSlot2=2
CommSlot3=3
CommSlot4=4

The writelog documentation is pretty sketchy on this
and, I think, could be improved.

73, Ted

P.S. I'm using a ROcketPort board too and like it a lot
but it has a problem when I use it with WriteLog. If I
use a ROcketPort port for rig control with my IC-746,
I can change the rig's frequency using WriteLog but
WriteLog can't poll the rig's frequency.  If I connect
the rig to COM1, everything works just fine.  Also,
the ROcketport ports work ok with other logging programs
such as DX4Win32 and Logic 5 (DxBase 98
is brain dead with Icom 746's and 756's (at least) so
I didn't try it with DxBase98 - I understand the problem is
also in DxBase 2000).

Anyone else have this problem?