[WriteLog] KT8X/BY4BNS ?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] KT8X/BY4BNS ?
From: ko4mr@arrl.net (Richard Eckman)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 15:36:40 -0500
Barry wrote:

>Any ideas to get this log entry to figure as China?
>
>Bizarre callsign as he signed it, but afraid to change
>it and log as just BY4BNS . . .

  I struggled with the same problem this weekend. I tried modifying the
wl_cty.dat country file and rebuilding the various files with the utility,
but this had no effect.
  I ended up adding a BY to the front of the call to force Writelog to log
it as China and then manually corrected the call in my Cabrillo electronic
submission. This is far from ideal, however. I imagine that the logic simply
isn't set up for this sort of bizarre callsign format which is just plain
wrong in my opinion! I suspect that the Chinese radio administration doesn't
agree with my opinion!
  Is there anything that can be adjusted in the country file logic to force
a manual edit of the country file to work? I note that there are several
other callsign exceptions in the wl_cty.dat file under China with similar
syntax (i.e., home call/Chinese call). None of these work correctly when
entered into Writelog.

Richard Eckman  KO4MR
Hampton, VA