[WriteLog] Features and Modules

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Features and Modules
From: wt4i@brevard.net (Bruce Lifter)
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 17:01:35 -0400

Roger writes :>

> Many mainstream (particularly non North American) contests are not
directly
> supported. The new Wizard is an improvement for those able to use it.
> Surely, however, it should be the first priority to provide facilities,
> accessible from within Writelog, and not requiring programming skills, to
> add other contest modules. I am sure that this would require very
> considerable effort and time, but without it Writelog is not a complete
> contesting package.

New contest modules are added all the time. I count more than 45 modules in
the latest release. I personally am very happy to see others pitch in and
add additional modules. From the feedback, it appears that the new modules
are of decent quality and are appreciated by others. Given the ground
swell of the use of the existing tool, I would rather see Wayne's effort
expended other places.

> Similarly, it should be possible to use all mainstream radios. At least
one
> Icom model is not supported. This could be remedied either by including
all
> models as they are introduced or by providing generic (Icom) support. (I
am
> not sure of the situation regarding other manufacturers.)

Which radio is not supported? I count 18 different Icom models including the
latest 756 Pro and the 706. If a new radio is delivered from Icom, Wayne
usually has it in the next update. In the short duration before the update
comes out, you can always change the address in the radio to that of
another more recent Icom and it should work fine.

I think Wayne has done an excellent job balancing the priorities of the new
features for the program. I believe the swell in interest of the PSK mode
is why all the comments on the PSK features. It is new, it is hot and
Writelog seems to have the best solution for PSK contesting.

73, Bruce