[WriteLog] A couple of known issues with 10.18--reading ADIF files and K

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] A couple of known issues with 10.18--reading ADIF files and Kenwood rigs
From: w5xd@writelog.com (W. Wright, W5XD)
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 00:45:03 -0000
Two problems have been pointed out with with 10.18. I post these here hoping
that I can reduce the amount of email we get regarding them.

WriteLog version 10.18 introduced the ability to read an ADIF file. WL reads
its own ADIF files just fine, but it might not read others as well as it
should. I traced this to two issues. One is that all ADIF files have header
information terminated by the string "<EOH>". WL 10.18 erroneously expects
that string to always be all caps. (WL correctly does case-free searches on
all other ADIF tags--just <eoh> is a problem.) If you edit your ADI file and
make that change, you will find that WL will read the QSOs in the file, but
you might run into the second issue. WL expects to find a <FREQ> entry for
each QSO. Otherwise it logs the QSO at 0 Khz. ADIF specifies a <BAND> tag
that supplies enough information to log the QSO at least on the right band,
but WL 10.18 ignores it.

WriteLog 10.18 introduced the feature of putting a PTT signal on the RTS
line of a COMM port if you also designate that COM port to send "PC
generates" CW on the DTR line. This seemed a safe place for the signal to me
since you already had a Y cable on that COM port to separate the CW from the
rig control, but, of course, one man's feature is another man's bug. It
turns out that some (possibly all) Kenwood rigs will not send anything on
their COMM port if their RTS line low. I haven't decided how to deal with
this mess yet. I would like to avoid yet another stupid,
impossible-to-document INI file setting. If it is an INI setting, then it
will have to read something like NO_PTT_SIGNAL_ON_RTS_ON_COMM=1, for COM1,
=2 for COM2, etc. If you have this problem, and are willing to modify your Y
cable, you can fix this problem without any software change: just make the
rig end of your cable jumper the RTS line to the CTS line.

I don't know exactly how/when we'll deal with these. But there's no need for
any further email to me describing the problems.

Thanks,
Wayne, W5XD