[WriteLog] Split Functionality for Com Port

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Split Functionality for Com Port
From: mherson@nile.intac.com (Mark Herson)
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 10:46:43 -0400 (EDT)
Hello everyone,

In WriteLog, is there any way to make a com port have dual functionality
(ie, control PTT via RTS and RS-232 control of frequency)? From all the
documentation I've seen, a com port can do either rig control (freq,
etc.) or PTT but not both.

Here's my problem:

I run Writelog on a 400 MHz laptop with soundcard and only one com port
and no place to add another.  I use this with a Yaesu FT-847 into its aux
audio port (tx and rx audio and ptt). The Yaesu does not have vox, so simply
sending audio to the radio will not put it into transmit. Also, using rig
control to command the radio into transmit does not address the problem
either. It seems that to have the audio on the aux port cut thru to the
radio, ptt must also be asserted on that same aux port.

What I need is a com port that does both: rig control which I can send
directly to the radio (btw, the radio ignores and rs-232 control
signals, ie DTR and RTS) and PTT control via RTS which I can send to a
RigBlaster type of device. Of course, I will have to make a special
Y-cable to do this, but that is ok.

Has anyone done this already or know how to do it? I know it is possible
in software as Logger does it already and works very nicely. I would
also think this would be attractive to others who might be "com port
challenged".

Of course, PTT control here would be for everything that would need ptt:
rtty, psk31, voice keying, etc.

73, Mark, N2MH