[WriteLog] RTTY Receive problem

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] RTTY Receive problem
From: kregli@aspi.net (Keith Regli)
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 20:12:15 -0400
I find tuning RTTY with WriteLog very easy.  However, if I make a couple of
changes in my configuration it gets quite difficult.  Maybe folks are
running into this scenario without realizing it.  Maybe some of the others
can validate (or not) my view.

My normal configuration uses a good receiver with a 250 Hz filter.  The
audio goes through a DSP-599zx that has a twin peak filter at the standard
RTTY tones.  The audio then goes into a pretty quiet sound card.  In that
mode I can tune in an RTTY signal very quickly using the just the "wiggly
lines".  Don's method is a little more precise.  If I bypass the DSP and go
to a 1.8 khz filter in the receiver I start to have trouble finding peaks to
tune in.  If you didn't have pretty sharp filters to start I think it might
be hard to learn how to tune in RTTY signals.

My favorite mistake is to go from CW to RTTY and forget to change the
passband on the receiver so that it includes the 2125/2295 audio range.  I
can hear things, but the audio that is getting through is outside the range
of the RTTY filters in WriteLog.

As to using another RTTY program with WriteLog...  I suspect you could use
WriteLog without Rttyrite and cut and paste for logging, but it would be
slow.  One can do quite a bit as a programmer to hook up to WriteLog, but
you'd need control over the other program.  I wouldn't hold out much hope
for that solution.

        Keith WB6BIG