[WriteLog] Laptop choices

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Laptop choices
From: jfleming@shelbynet.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 12:46:51 -0500
I'm thinking about my first laptop ever!  It has to run
Writelog/Rttyrite.  Are there any special considerations about ports,
soundcards, or other that I should know?  Is there any clear choice(es)
of manufacturer(s) for a laptop that has to run Rttyrite well in the
RTTY mode?

Do most laptops come with only ONE accessible serial port these days, eg
a built-in modem on COM1 and a DB-9 port on the back that's probably
COM2 or some similar configuration?  Do some have 2 DB-9's?

Do most have a USB port these days?

I don't want the "joy stick" pointing device.

I know that RITTY/K6STI demands 100% Soundblaster, but I don't think
Writelog's that picky, right?

I'd appreciate any input on this subject.  If you had it to do over
again, what would you get?  THANKS!
WA9ALS - John
     rig:  MARK-V FT-1000MP http://www.yaesu.com/markv.html
   email:  jfleming@shelbynet.net