[WriteLog] Kenwood Service - Results & Thanks!

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Kenwood Service - Results & Thanks!
From: aa5au@msn.com (Don Hill)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 21:19:18 -0500
I want to thank everyone for the response.  There were too many
to answer each one individually.  There were some good stories and
some not so good stories.  Many didn't have a preference but it was
great to hear from them.

I want to thank Andy, KB2EOQ, for forwarding my message to the
Kenwood reflector.  Andy, could you be so kind as to forward my
thanks to that reflector for those that replied directly to me.

The results so far:

It's a tie!  Both the East Coast Service Center and Avvid received
7 positive results with no real bad experiences.

The West Coast Service Center received only 2 positive votes and
also had two bad experiences.

I still have to wait to see what the insurance co. says.  They were suppose
to call me back today but they didn't.

The TS870 is somewhat operable.  As a matter of fact, I worked ZD9ZM
this morning on RTTY this morning for my #323 country on RTTY by using
AFSK and PTT through radio control using WriteLog!

Funny thing.  Immediately after the strike (I was home), I checked the
radio thoroughly and everything worked except PTT from PKS on ACC2
and FSK input (the PK232 that was connected to it had no FSK output
or PTT).  I left it on during the day while I troubleshot the PK232's.  Some
time during the day I went to work something and it would key up at all.

The receiver is fine.  The problems are that it will not PTT from either the
PKS line on ACC2 nor from the mic jack.  It will not TX from VOX either.
It will not TX when the SEND button is pressed.  It modulates SSB and
AFSK when PTT through computer control via the RS232 port in the back.
However, there is no adjustment with the MIC gain.  It's wide open ON.  I
had to turn the gain all the way down on my sound card to run AFSK, but
it puts out 100 watts.  The FSK input does not work anymore.  And the
Automatic Antenna Tuner light comes on when you press the THRU/AUTO
button but it will not tune with AT TUNE.

Other than that, it works great!  hi  If nothing else, it's a great receiver!

Received my new TS870 and AL-80B amp today from HRO in excellent
shape.  It's all up and working.

Now it's time to wait on the insurance boys.  Leaving Thursday for Teal season
opening on Friday (always opened on Saturday before).  Nothing like hunting
ducks in 90 degree weather with a tropical storm coming our way!

Again, thanks to everyone who responded.  It's a toss up right now with East
Coast and Avvid, but with Avvid being in TX, I might go that way.

73, Don AA5AU