[WriteLog] RE: Problem with Windows2000 Networking

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] RE: Problem with Windows2000 Networking
From: k1bfd@iname.com (Barry F. Devine)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 22:35:45 -0400
First of all, I would like to thank everyone who provided suggestions
for the problem I was having getting W2K to participate in the WriteLog
network. Next, I am happy to report that I have found the problem, and
now have a W2K node working the way it is supposed to. The problem was a
good one. It turns out that I had a hotfix applied to my system to
correct a problem with DDE shares that was introduced by the beta of the
W2K service pack (SP1). In essence, it corrupted the registry entry for
the NET DDE entries for both WLOGNET and WLOGPKT. I discovered the
problem when I tried to display the properties for the shares after
issuing the DDESHARE command. I got an authorization failed message. I
installed Writelog onto another W2K machine without the hot fix, and
compared the registry entries between the two. That's when I saw the
problem. To fix it, I exported both registry entries on the "good"
machine, and imported them onto the "bad" machine. At this point I was
able to access the shares on the original machine. Also, FWIW, I removed
NETBEUI from the W2K machine and used TCPIP. As the docs say, it works
fine and causes far less network overhead than NETBEUI. Again, thank you
to everyone that provided suggestions on this situation. The fact that
so many people said they had it working on their system helped point me
in the right direction. I highly doubt that anyone else will run into
this problem (unless you are an MS beta tester that tested SP1), but if
you do, and you need any help fixing it, just give a holler.

73's - Barry (K1BFD)  k1bfd@iname.com