[WriteLog] One radio, two TUs, log entry from either window under WL

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] One radio, two TUs, log entry from either window under WL
From: jon@royal.net (Jon Harder)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 14:43:05 -0000
Many times I've wondered if it was possible to have two Entry windows open
with just one radio, and to TX via either TU as needed.  I've found that It
CAN be done, but rig tracking isn't automatic from both windows.

There's nothing new about running two TUs/modems in parallel with one radio.
In WL, two RTTY windows work just fine this way, with the second receiving
window as a check for weak signal or multipath distortion of callsigns and
clearing other garble in the main window.  But what if the "good" callsign
is in the secondary window, where it isn't dupe checked or highlighted, and
clicking on it can't move it to the single WL entry window?  This means hand
typing or Copy/Paste into the entry window, guessing it's not a dupe, then
transmitting via the first TU, slowing down the rate, etc.

During CQWW setup, I was browsing through the section on Writelog.ini files
in WL Help.  There was a line in the sample .ini file I hadn't recalled
seeing.

Run2EntryWindows=YES

Sure enough, adding this line enables a second Entry window segment right
below the first, just as if two radios are in use. Now both RTTY windows are
fully functional, callsigns highlighted, and TX works from either one.

The only drawback I found is with rig control and frequency logging.  When
WL opens, the rig is controlled under the first RTTY window.  Then moving to
the second window, if you want accurate logging, it's necessary to click on
the freq button and manually set the frequency.  The one rig is now
controlled by the second window and not the first.  When switching back and
forth, the logging of the freq readout doesn't automatically track with the
window in use. For instance, when the second window is active and you are
TXing from there via the second TU, the rig doesn't know you've moved, and
is still updating the freq readout in the first window. That's not usually a
serious problem unless you have changed bands.  I tried playing with adding
CommSlot= lines, but no help there. Trying options with the Radio dialog
box, 2 or 1, makes no difference. Can't find anything in the Help file, nor
in my stack of saved reflector messages about this one.

I'm delighted that this works as well as it does, just wish the logging was
as simple as it would be with two rigs.

Has anyone else tried this and found a smoother solution to using two Entry
windows/modems with one radio?

My present setup uses an ST-8000 as "Dumb Terminal" in window one, and an
SB-64 soundcard with RTTYWrite in the second.  No conflicts with having PTT
and FSK in parallel on a TS-850.  It's great to have the option of choosing
to work from either demod with one radio, as well as making comparisons on
the quality of copy.

Jon  K1US