[WriteLog] USB-serial comm parameters

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] USB-serial comm parameters
From: jfleming@shelbynet.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 14:21:07 -0500
Well, if you've been following my com port dilemmas, I'm now even more
confused.  (If you haven't been following, delete now.)  I was at the
conclusion that my Targus USB-serial adaptor didn't read the MP because
it's drivers didn't like the Yaesu CAT parameters of 4800-N-8-2, perhaps
especially the 2 stop bits.  I was ready to try another adaptor that I
hear works, even for FSK, from Belkin.

About that time I got a post from someone who said that Writelog reads
his MP using ini file comm parameters of 9600-N-8-1.  I didn't see how
that could be true since it's well known and in the manual that the
Yaesu CAT parameters are 4800-N-8-2!

Well, turns out that it IS true!!!  If I use the onboard "standard"
serial port on the back of the laptop, it works with *EITHER* one of the
above comm parameters in the Writelog ini file!!  Now I've seen
everything!!  How can that be??

Worse, the Targus device still behaves the same with *EITHER* of the
above comm parameter sets - The TD lite flickers, but there's nothing
from the RD lite and Wl cannot read the rig.

How the heck does it work when the writelog.ini file setting is
9600-N-8-1???????