[WriteLog] Sending/correcting half-calls

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Sending/correcting half-calls
From: eric@k3na.org (Eric Scace K3NA)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 16:00:52 +0400
Anyone interested in this feature, or am I the only one?  -- Eric K3NA

=====================

   A useful addition to the auto-correct feature of WL is the ability to send
ONLY the corrected callsign prefix or suffix on CW or SSB (if message files for
characters and character sequences have been recorded by the operator.  A
complete explanation and comparison with exiting auto-correct is attached below.

   The transmission of only the corrected prefix/suffix is especially common
when running pileups of Japanese stations... but often used in other pileups as
well.

   CT and NA do not provide this capability today.  N6TR has already implemented
it.

-- Eric

Example of today's auto-correction:

me: CQ TEST K3NA K3NA TEST
other station:  JA1 <static burst> Y
   (I type "JA1?Y" in the callsign field and punch the appropriate key for
transmitting call+exchange.)
me:  JA1?Y 599 5
other station:  JA1EXY 599 25 JA1EXY
   (I fix the callsign field and punch the appropriate key for sending the end
of QSO message + log QSO.)
me:  JA1EXY TU K3NA K3NA

Example #1 of half-call autocorrect -- suffix correction:

me: CQ TEST K3NA K3NA TEST
other station:  JA1 <static burst> Y
   (I type "JA1?Y" in the callsign field and punch the appropriate key for
transmitting call+exchange.)
me:  JA1?Y 599 5
other station:  JA1EXY 599 25 JA1EXY
   (I fix the callsign field and punch the appropriate key for sending the end
of QSO message + log QSO.)
me:  EXY TU K3NA K3NA

Note:  When only the suffix of the call has been changed (after the digits),
only the suffix is sent again.  If the suffix is only one letter, the whole call
should be transmitted.

Example #2 of half-call autocorrect -- prefix correction:

me: CQ TEST K3NA K3NA TEST
other station:  <static burst> 1EXY
   (I type "1EXY" in the callsign field and punch the appropriate key for
transmitting call+exchange.  Note I didn't need to use a question mark.)
me:  1EXY 599 5
other station:  JA1EXY 599 25 JA1EXY
   (I fix the callsign field and punch the appropriate key for sending the end
of QSO message + log QSO.)
me:  JA1 TU K3NA K3NA

Note:  When only the prefix of the call has been changed, only the prefix is
sent again.  The prefix can be more than the 'legal ITU prefix' and is as per
the WPX rules; i.e., ALL the digits in the middle of the call.  S59... WA3...
G4... J73... 8P6...4U89 (from 4U89ITU).

Example #3 of half-call autocorrect -- portable correction:

me: CQ TEST K3NA K3NA TEST
other station:  JA1EXY/<static burst>
   (I type "JA1EXY" in the callsign field and punch the appropriate key for
transmitting call+exchange.  Note I didn't need to use a question mark.)
me:  JA1EXY 599 5
other station:  JA1EXY/3 599 25 JA1EXY/3
   (I fix the callsign field and punch the appropriate key for sending the end
of QSO message + log QSO.)
me:  /3 TU K3NA K3NA

'Portable correction' sends "/" plus everything after the slant.

Example #4 of half-call autocorrect -- corrections affecting two parts of the
call:

me: CQ TEST K3NA K3NA TEST
other station:  JA<static burst>XY
   (I type "JAXY" in the callsign field and punch the appropriate key for
transmitting call+exchange.  Note I didn't need to use a question mark.)
me:  JAXY 599 5
other station:  JA1EXY 599 25 JA1EXY
   (I fix the callsign field and punch the appropriate key for sending the end
of QSO message + log QSO.)
me:  JA1EXY TU K3NA K3NA

The entire call was transmitted as both the prefix and suffix were corrected.

Example #5 of half-call autocorrect -- corrections affecting two parts of a
3-part call:

me: CQ TEST K3NA K3NA TEST
other station:  JA1E<qrm>
   (I type "JA1E" in the callsign field and punch the appropriate key for
transmitting call+exchange.  Note I didn't need to use a question mark.)
me:  JA1E 599 5
other station:  JA1EXY/JD1 599 25 JA1EXY/JD1
   (I fix the callsign field and punch the appropriate key for sending the end
of QSO message + log QSO.)
me:  EXY/JD1 TU K3NA K3NA

The two parts of the call (prefix and portable, in this example) were sent.