[WriteLog] More on audio record

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] More on audio record
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 03:26:45 -0000
Hi all,
A few of you e-mailed me asking me to let you know what I found
out about audio recording.

This from KV1W:
This is my second seacon of using it.
I use 11 Khz, 16 bit, mono, get about 3 GB per radio for 48 hrs.
Works real well and playback is easy.
The only caution, try before the contest and get the audio levels
correct.
Too little and you can't hear, too much and it clips and distorts.
73, Ric KV1W

I left audio recording on for a few hours here this evening, while
testing all the other functions, sending CW, etc. The settings used
as follows:
Enable Recording Loop checked
Continuous Record checked
Enable Compression checked
Click on Compression settings. I chose MPEG level 3, 16K 11025
Mono.
The audio quality was very good, and an hour only used 7 MB!
So, rather than needing 7.6 GB for 48 hours (uncompressed), one
only needs 336 MB. My computer is a PII-450, which seems to
handle the extra processing load (i.e. MP3 compression) with no
problem.
The Audio review program handles it just fine, as does Windows
Media Player.
Hoep this helps...
Happy recording,
Barry

I left WL running for a few hours recording CW and it worked fine
Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com