[WriteLog] Writelog "out-of-band" enhancement

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Writelog "out-of-band" enhancement
From: ldh3@cornell.edu (Laurence 'Mike' Hammer)
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 11:12:50 -0500

Filtering for out of band spots is a very interesting problem from a
programmer's perspective.  'Interesting' here means it will generate lots
of user feedback, both good and bad!

 From the programmer's perspective, what becomes critical is the data
coming in to filter.  Most spotting programs, data entry forms on WWW and
so forth either don't force-fill QSX when appropriate (radio not connected
to computer, program not reading QSX freq when creating spot) or don't show
how to enter a QSX freq when taking manual spots.  So the data coming into
WL over packet isn't 100% reliable by any stretch.  As a result, WL or any
program that would filter spots would have to make a whole lot of
assumptions that would result in some valid spots being filtered out.

As one of the mult-chasers for W6XR and a few other efforts I'd rather
decide for myself whether a spot is a good one or not.  I think that is
part of the operator-skill portion of a contest.  I'm generally against
fully automated contests, think the tools we have right now leave just
enough to the operator for SSB contests at least.  What I'd like to see is
some more monitoring and some kind of points reduction for folks caught
transmitting out of band, etc.  Then we would all remember to check for
QSX!  As a fairly new ham but old participant in other forms of competition
I'm amazed at how little enforcement there is in radio contesting.

Mike N2VR