[WriteLog] TARA RTTY SPRINT

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] TARA RTTY SPRINT
From: aa5au@msn.com (Don Hill)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 20:45:22 -0600
I want to remind all WriteLog users of the TARA RTTY Sprint this
coming weekend.  It is only 8 hours long and uses the same rules
as the ARRL RTTY Roundup coming up in January.

Complete rules at:   http://www.n2ty.org/rtty.html

In other words, it's a warmup to the Roundup.  It is used by many
RTTY contesters to test their setup before the big show in January.

For new RTTY users, it's a great time to get to know the mode and
how contests are run on RTTY.

>From seeing the mail fly across the reflector lately, I can tell there are
many new WriteLog users, mainly from the CW and SSB side of contesting.

I want to invite the CW and SSB contesters to try RTTY.  Why?  Because
it's a fun mode that is a little easier than SSB and a LOT easier than CW
contesting.   I tried 2-radio CW contesting this past weekend for the first
time.  Although I got the hang of it, I found it very demanding.

By comparison, running 2 or even 3 radios on RTTY is a piece of cake
compared to CW.  The TNC, TU or sound board does the decoding, not
your brain.  The only thing your brain does is decide when to push the right
buttons on the keyboard, so RTTY contesting, while not totally brainless,
can be quite a lot of easy fun.

So please join in this weekend.  The contest starts 1800Z on Saturday and
ends at 0200Z Sunday.  It's a great time to try RTTY contesting for the
first time.

I hope to CU there!

(Use the ARRL RTTY Roundup module in WriteLog for this contest)

73,
Don Hill, AA5AU
http://www.geocities.com/aa5au/