[WriteLog] ARRL RU

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] ARRL RU
From: aa5au@msn.com (Don Hill)
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 16:36:44 -0600
Hello Chris et al,

Ah... The PSK factor.  I think that's the big question mark this year.  Last
year there was limited action with Barry, W2UP, taking the PSK only plaque
with 270 or so Q's.

I have to believe that this year is going to be different but it's too hard to
guess.
If you listen to the bands in the very early mornings and in the late evenings
here in the US, you hear nothing but PSK going on (and some MFSK).  Lots
and lots of new operators will be in the contest this year for sure.  I've
worked
about 20 new digital operators in the past week.

But the question remains, how many will run PSK only?  How many both?
I plan on having PSK available but I won't know if I'll use it 'til we're in
the heat
of battle.  I figure it might be worth 2-3 additional mults.  I'll listen to
PSK on the
3rd radio, but I don't plan on using it for any great amount of time if any.

If the RTTY gets slow on Sunday afternoon, I might then go to PSK.  I think
the mystery of it will make this year's contest more intriguing.

73, Don AA5AU