[WriteLog] RTTY Radios

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] RTTY Radios
From: aa5au@msn.com (Don Hill)
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 20:59:23 -0600
I would like to compile a list of solid state transceivers you are presently
using
and have used in the past on RTTY.  I'm trying to compile a list to put on my
website so
people can look at advantages and disadvantages of specific radios they might
consider purchasing or using on RTTY.

Since I have used a Yaesu FT757GX/II, an Icom IC-751A and a Kenwood TS870, you
need not comment on those unless you want.  I am sure all the newer radios are
considered excellent on RTTY (IC-756PRO, FT1000, etc.) but I will would like to
hear
your comments on those radios as well.  I'm not interested in tube radios.
Even though
some may be good RTTY radios, I would like to stick to later model solid state
and
digital models.

Please include whether you use or have used the particular radio you comment
about on FSK or AFSK and/or if that radio is capable of FSK and if so, what kind
of filters are available.  Example... The Icom IC-751A is capable of FSK and has
a standard 500 hz filter available (I think) and an optional 250 hz filter.

Unless you feel absolutely compelled to tell the list about your radio, PLEASE
SEND
ALL REPLIES DIRECTLY TO ME AND NOT THE REFLECTOR.

My ultimate goal is to give RTTY (and other digital mode) operators a place
they can
go for reference material on different aspect of the mode whether it be
contesting,
DX'ing or everyday RTTY operation.  I doubt anyone could ever replace the
excellent
site that Dick, N1RCT, had but I would like to try and help other RTTY ops or
potential
RTTY ops anyway I can.

I may want to list your call on the website along with your comment.  If you do
not want
your call listed, please let me know.  I'll let everyone know when that page is
available.
I imagine it will be an on-going project so keep checking the site often as I
have
lots of ideas.  One of the first items I'll try to get going is a list of RTTY
(and other digital)
links like what Dick had.  If you have a favorite link, let me know.

Jeff, K1AM, just gave us a good one this evening that I had no idea existed.

Thanks for all your help,
Don Hill, AA5AU
http://www.geocities.com/aa5au/