[WriteLog] Sound card problems

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Sound card problems
From: martyt@pobox.com (Marty Tippin)
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 14:31:28 -0600
At 10:18 AM 1/20/01 -0600, n9qqk@urbancom.net wrote:

>Writelog 10.22C
>Windows 98se
>Sony VAIO F270
>Yaesu FT-990
>
>Yesterday, I attempted to set up Writelog for 2 radio RTTY. Not
>being totally successful, I tried to re-setup my single radio RTTY
>setup. I now see the following problems:
>
>1) When I open the "RTTY window", I get the "Can't open sound
>    board for receive" message.

Make sure "Enable Recording Loop" is off under Tools | Sound Board
Options...  - be sure to save configuration also after making any changes.

Make sure both RTTY windows are set to "Stereo Soundboard AFSK" for the TU
Type (they won't be until you do this manually). To open the RTTY window
for the Left radio, click on the Left radio portion of the QSO Entry window
to activate it, then go to Window | RTTY. Do the same for Right radio.
You'll probably get the "can't open" error during this process; ignore it
and then go set up the TU Type as above.

Save configuration again (and any time you change *anything*) -- also save
your writelog contest file as some settings appear to be contest specific.

>2) When I connect the audio from the radio into the computer mic
>     input, the signal from the radio is being output through the
>     computer's speakers.

Bring up the soundcard control and make sure, on the PLAYBACK window (the
one you get by default) that the Mic input is muted.

>3) Attempts to increase the master volume control near loudest
>     results in feedback coming thru the speakers.  Never saw this
>     before.

Most likely feedback from the built-in microphone. Muting should fix the
problem.

>Any ideas on what settings I might have screwed up?

Sometimes you just have to hold your mouth right when you open the RTTY
window - but the above seemed to make life easier for me.

73,

-Marty NW0L
  martyt@pobox.com