[WriteLog] Writelog and multiple sound devices

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Writelog and multiple sound devices
From: Bruce Barcome" <w3lj@arrl.net (Bruce Barcome)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 06:46:33 -0500
I received my new Dell Dimension 4100 1GHz 256M PC with Windows 2000 just
before the 10 meter contest and found out the night before that I couldn't
get Writelog to put out audio to my rig from my .wav files. After swapping
emails with W5XD, I offer this so others may avoid forced CW.

The symptoms are that when all set up for SSB, pushing an Fkey may key the
rig for a split second but nothing else will be noticed. CW, etc. all worked
fine.

Problem was that my PC came with multiple sound devices and the actual
soundcard was not first. Mine actually had 6 sound devices listed. To check:

1. Windows Start Menu,  choose Settings and Control Panel.
2. Open the "Sounds and Multimedia" applet.
3. The middle tab is "Audio".
4. The top pane says "Preferred device".
5. On that top pane, click the little down triangle.

The results at my PC:

Modem #1 Line Playback
Santa Cruz(tm)
Santa Cruz Chan 5/6
Santa Cruz Front Wave
Santa Cruz Rear Wave
Santa Cruz Digital Out

My Preferred device or active soundboard is set to Santa Cruz(tm) and it is
second in the list.

By default, Writelog picks the first in the list.

The solution was to add a line to the writelog.ini file in the
[configuration] section as

    SoundBoardIndex=n

where n would be '0' for first on the list or a '1' for second, etc. Default
is '0'. Setting mine to '1' achieved a fully working Writelog.

If I can clarify anything, please let me know.

Listen for me in ARRL DX.

Bruce  W3LJ

w3lj@arrl.net