[WriteLog] Vers 10.23 crashed with serial Mouse

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Vers 10.23 crashed with serial Mouse
From: martyt@pobox.com (Marty Tippin)
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 10:09:55 -0600
At 03:49 PM 2/4/01 +0000, Wil DJ7AA wrote:
<snip>
>So this machinme is a P166MMX with 128 Mb Ram and 4 comports with
>different interrupts. The com1 setup uses all standard settings.
>Com3 with Radio and Com4 with PTC2 was ok earlyer.

Historically on older DOS and Windows machines, you can't use COM1 and COM3
at the same time, nor can you use COM2 and COM4 at the same time (assuming
the "normal" configuration of these devices - where the ports are provided
by either the motherboard or ISA bus cards, not from PCI bus cards with
interrupt sharing) - in a standard configuration, COM1 and COM3 are using
the same interrupt (usually IRQ 4) but they don't "share" it - either one
gets it or the other; same with COM2 and COM4 (using IRQ 3). My guess is
the rig control on COM3 is interfering with the mouse on COM1. Try turning
it off temporarily and see if the mouse works properly.

>When I change the mouse to a bus-mouse it looks ok.

That's the obvious solution. I didn't think anybody still used a serial
mouse - especially if they have the option to use a bus mouse...

73,

-Marty NW0L
  martyt@pobox.com