[WriteLog] More on Ferrite Rods

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] More on Ferrite Rods
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 21:13:21 -0600
I had a big response requesting more information on where I got my
ferrite rods and what permeability they were.  Unfortunately, I don't
remember the vendor that sets up each year in the arena at the Dayton
Hamvention where I buy them and I don't know what their permeability
is.  But I did some research on the web and found some.  I remember
the ones I bought were fairly expensive.  The ones I have are anywhere
from 4 to 7" long and 1/2" in diameter.  My research tells me there
are two common Material type - Material 61 and Material 43.  I don't
know which one is better for our frequencies.

Here are some sites I found:

ByteMark Corporation - might be a good HAM site as one of the items
listed is W2FMI baluns.  The Rod prices look reasonable.  The 7.5" rods
are what I would consider and the price is reasonable. The page is:

http://bytemark.com/amidon/prrods.html

Another place I found them was at Ocean State Electronics.  They
have a couple of 7" models.  Reading about permeability, it appears that
Permeability 125 seems to be a common type.  The frequency range
listed for Permeability 125 is .2-10 mhz.  Ocean State rods are found at:

http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p50.htm

Surplus sales of Nebraska also sells ferrite rods at:

http://www.surplussales.com/FerRods.html

Amidon sells their rods directly.  Look at:

http://www.amidoncorp.com/index.htm

>From the sites listed above, you should be able to find some ferrite rods that
will work.  Not knowing much about the material used or permeability factor
I can't really recommend what's best.  I can say that I have not had any of my
ferrite rods "not" work.

Maybe someone with more knowledge on these rods can give some insight.

I've placed these links on my the RTTY page
http://www.geocities.com/aa5au/rtty.html

Also, I have a new E-mail address which I will be using as my main address:
aa5au@bellsouth.net

73 & CU in WPX RTTY this weekend,
Don AA5AU