[WriteLog] Suggestion: Schedule Alarm

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Suggestion: Schedule Alarm
From: dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 13:21:00 -0500
I forgot about this one:

During ARRL DX, C4A called me Sunday on 10M and asked me to QSY to 15M and
20M for mult credit (unusual, to say the least.) Then he set up a sked with
me to work on 80M at 2300z Sunday evening. I wrote it down, but completely
forgot about it. Amazingly, he found me at the bottom of 40M eleven minutes
before the end of the contest and moved me to 80M for my last multiplier.
That was the highlight of the contest for me, but I was real lucky -- I
shouldn't have forgotten the sked. I'm trying to learn to move mults more
myself, and sometimes it helps to setup a sked for a time when propagation
will be more favorable.

I couldn't find a Schedule command anywhere in Writelog's menus or help, so
I'm assuming it's not there. I couldn't find a general alarm clock utility
in Windows, either. CT has had such a facility for a long time, maybe
forever. It lets you add a call and time to a list of schedules it
maintains. When the time comes, the computer beeps and a little box pops up
to remind you about the sked. I would think a more flexible setup would
allow any user-defined message to be displayed (such as, "check for 20M lp
opening", "remember to eat", "WAKE UP, YOU'RE LOSING!", etc.) Also, the
message shouldn't remove focus from the Entry window. A flashing red message
displayed in the status area would be nice, but there has to be some way to
clear it. Perhaps that could be done in the schedule entry window -- i.e., a
button next to an existing sked would allow you to shut off the alarm and/or
delete the entry.

73, Dick WC1M