[WriteLog] SubBands Problems

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] SubBands Problems
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 23:26:17 -0600
I've been fighting this for about a month now and am wits end.
It seems every time I bring up the Packet Spots window in WL,
all the spots always show up in Red regardless of what contest,
or mode or anything else.  In order to get them to "work" and
come out green is to go Edit the SubBands, click on everything
imaginable - OK this, OK that... set it to the Extra band, make
sure the frequencies are right, etc. etc. etc. without making any
actual changes to the frequencies shown in the different mode
SubBands, then go back into WL and it might work.  If not, I
have to quit the program, play around in the Edit SubBands program
again, go back to WL and maybe it might work.

I'm getting extremely frustrated having to do this (on 2 different
computers, no less).  I thought I had it figured out just before WPX
RTTY, but those steps don't work anymore.

Can anyone answer the following questions:

1)  How does WL determine which mode SubBand to use?  I am
only guessing it gets the mode from the type and mode of contest
selected.  If this is the case, why doesn't the appropriate SubBand
work within the contest selected?  Those spots still show red.

2)  I see in the writelog.ini file, the only mention of the SubBands is
under the [BandMap] configuration that mentions:
BandEdgeFile=USA_Extra.SubBands
I have checked to make sure the appropriate SubBands are correct.
Is there any other way to control these SubBands than this one ini file
entry?

3)  I have 'Show Band Edges' disabled in my BandMap.  My main wish
is that ANYTIME I run WL with ANY contest that ALL spots show
up green in the packet spots window AND show up on the BandMap
regardless of whether they are out of band or not.
This way I can filter my spots using DXTelnet and not ever have to play
with Edit SubBands again.  Please can someone tell me how to do this?

I hate it when I can't figure things out on my own, but after a month of
trying to figure this one out, I am at wits end.

Many thanks,
Don, AA5AU

http://www.geocities.com/aa5au/
My new E-mail address is aa5au@bellsouth.net