[WriteLog] FT1000mp bug???

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] FT1000mp bug???
From: jpixton@shentel.net (Jerry Pixton)
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 13:45:08 +0000
Hi all you Yaesu FT1000mp owners,

After much testing of the W5XD Multi+ keyer to convince myself that it was
working correctly - It is all OK. I have discovered what may be a fault in
my FT1000mp. I would like to hear from others if their 1000mp works correctly.

I am using Writelog for rig control. On rtty and ssb modes, Writelog
commands PTT on the rig interface and the 1000mp goes to transmit and stays
there for the duration of the message being sent. Correct behaviour. But
when I do the same thing in CW mode, Writelog commands PTT on the rig
interface, then the character keying starts but after the first element of
the first character (dot in "w6ihg") the PTT drops - stops transmitting.
The keying continues for the correct message but no output. This is true
using "PC generates cw" and "w5xd multi+".  I dug out my very old copy of
XTALK 16, the old DOS based comm program which can give a HEX dump of the
incoming signal (a neat feature that I can not find in any current comm
programs) to prove to myself that Writelog was sending the proper commands.
Indeed it is, it commands PTT on at the beginning of a cw message and then
commands PTT off and polls at the end. All proper.

So I conclude that my 1000mp is doing this all by itself. BTW everthing
works ok in Break-in mode as expected because the keying signal is ok. It
seems to be some interaction between PTT being commanded on the CAT
interface and the Keying signals. BTW when i remove the key line from the
1000mp the PTT stays on until Writelog commands it off. When PTT is
asserted via the PTT jack, it stays on for the duration of the message
(probably because it is always asserted, I guess).

Do I have a fault in my FT1000mp or is this a design feature????

Jerry, W6IHG
Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs LLC
http://www.pixos.com/designs/
jpixton@shentel.net