[WriteLog] New HAL ST-8000 Available

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] New HAL ST-8000 Available
From: w1vxv@adelphia.net (Bob Boyd)
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 06:51:51 -0500
For those of you who do not watch activity on eBay, I thought I'd better
mention that K6KC has advertised the following:

"This auction is for a HAL Communications ST-8000 high frequency R.T.T.Y
modem (terminal unit). NEW(old stock), early production unit, in original
factory carton. The federal government updated the firmware from the
original 1.0 revision to 1.2 revision, then returned the unit to storage
before it was ever put into service. Includes the original separate
operation and *full* service manuals. The service manual is normally a
$100.00 option. To my knowledge, the current firmware revision is 2.0, which
is available from HAL for ~$50.00, in the form of (2) EPROMS. The modem is
fully useable with the provided firmware, and by all accounts the update
makes very little improvement in performance, which is widely regarded as
the highest ever attained for a HF radio teletype T.U. Unit is guaranteed to
be NEW (unused), in fully operational condition. Current price from HAL for
this model is $3995.00! Buyer to prepay, including actual shipping/insurance
costs, within 7 days of close of auction. I will double-box the original
factory carton, to insure safe arrival. Due to the size of the outer carton,
shipping charges will be based on 35 pounds. California residents are
subject to 7% sales tax. Thanks for your interest and 73!"

It is eBay Item #1220629814.  I purchased my ST-8000 from him four years
ago, and can say that the description is completely accurate.  It is my
understanding that he purchased a quantity of ST-8000's that had been slated
to go to Operation Desert Storm, but the units were never used.  It will be
interesting to see what the reserve price is!  I paid about $700 for mine,
and I still think that was reasonable.  I have had firmware revision 2.0
installed, but didn't notice that it made any difference.  If you want a
ST-8000, here is your chance!  My only involvement here is as a former
satisfied customer and very satisfied owner.

Regards,  Bob - W1VXV  (vanity application currently before the FCC for
callsign NT1V)