[WriteLog] Windows 2000 adviseability

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Windows 2000 adviseability
From: gbright@bellsouth.net (Grant Bright, Ph.D.)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 20:18:09 -0500
Hi Bill,

I have just spent weeks researching this one and all I can
say is that it "depends."

IF there are W2K drivers for all your devices, you have lots
of memory(>256) & a fast cpu(>700), you will be happy...IF
you find all your present programs still run.

I am sure there will divers opinions on this upgrading. I
have a friend who loaned me one of hard drives with W2K and
Office 2000 on it...on the condition, I only use the
programs making no changes in W2K. We have the same video &
sound cards,  so I took off with it.

It is somewhat different, some things seemed strange others
were intuitive. Word 2000 loaded about 3 seconds faster than
Word 97 in WIN98SE. I was glad for the tryout, and with some
changes like dual boot also to WIN98SE, it would work for
me. But I have five computers on WIN98SE, they all run well
and are stable.

I am staying with WIN98SE for two reasons, 1) the
headaches--the time and trouble of finding drivers....(and
hoping they are good ones) and getting all the machines set
up, and 2) the biggest reason, I have several biotech
programs that run in only in DOS--the FDA defines real time
data as <100ms, so no Windows needs apply--so I must have
access to native DOS. There is a disk operating system in ME
and W2K, but it is a command only virtual environment. I
could set up a dual boot, but I have not yet the motivation
to spend-- I think "spend" is the right word, not
invest--all the time to make that happen.

My best suggestion is to join the MS ME or W2K newsgroup and
read and read, email a few users, find out if they ever
resolved their problems and then make an informed guess
about your situation.

I decided I would rather more spend time, doing RTTY,
learning WriteLog, and going fishing, than upgrading. But
that is why they make Fords and Chevys. And your mileage may
vary.

73s,
Grant
W4OJC