[WriteLog] What Have I missed

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] What Have I missed
From: scot@k9jy.com (Scot Herrick)
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 16:01:05 -0500
Every reflector's strength is also it's weakness. What I have observed over
the last year and a half on the reflector is fewer 'new person' questions
and a lot more 'advanced' questions, answers and discussions.

I attribute the fewer 'new person' questions to three of developments:
first, the www.writelog.com site has had a bunch of upgrades to it in the
support area. I went and looked the other day and was really pleased to see
a bunch of new good stuff there.

Second, somewhat selfishly, I think that my web site at www.k9jy.com has
helped a bunch of people get off to a really good start with the software.
While I still have a bunch to do on the site, the emails I get have been
very, very positive. As a result, there is a lot less setup questions on the
reflector instead now going to something more challenging on the reflector.
Hopefully there are fewer support emails as well going to the developers
which was one of my objectives - have them work the program.

Third, WriteLog, in my humble opinion, is becoming a standard for single-op
contesting. There are a lot more people in our local clubs here in the US
who have the program and that we can ask locally our questions or can come
over and help us set it up. But right now there are only two hams in New
Zealand who have the program - and I've emailed with them both!

The reason you see so much stuff on RTTY on the reflector (and before this
with SO2R contesting), is that there are many, many variables to set it up.
Sound card vs TNC. Or use both because it works better. AFSK or FSK. Or both
depending on PSK/mode. Two radio contesting with TNC's and soundcard. Which
sound card is the best (it really depends), which board to get more serial
ports (it really depends). And each radio in each of these setups have
differences. So the really good thing about the reflector is that you can
find someone who mirrors what you are trying to do. But to 'standardize' the
support for these types of setup is really difficult (I know because I've
thought a lot about trying to do it).

RTTY scores on the reflector should be posted to the 3830 site. The reason
they are posted here is that the RTTY reflector was sponsored by WF1B and
also supported RTTY as a mode. It's a carry over that some people don't
expect to see scores for RTTY on 3830.

It's a pretty good reflector. It could be much, much worse.

CU...Scot, K9JY

See the complete WriteLog user guide at http://www.k9jy.com

mailto:scot@k9jy.com