[WriteLog] Dual Transmit on RTTY on a single radio

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Dual Transmit on RTTY on a single radio
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 22:43:25 -0500
For answers to Bob's, AK6R, questions, see my answers below:

> Don - a question on your setup.
>
> Do you run a comm port for the PK232 TNC and a comm port for the FSK keying
> and then tie the two FSK lines together?  I think that is what you imply.

Yes, the PK232 is controlled by the computer on COMM3 but the unit itself
has an FSK output.  COMM2 is the FSK output of the Rttyrite window using
the sound card.  COMM1 is rig control.  I have only 3 COM ports in this
computer.

> If I understand you correct you need 4 commports:
>
> Comm1 for radio left control
> Comm2 for radio right control
> Comm3 for Radio left FSK keying
> Comm4 for Radio left PK232

This computer controls only one radio.  I use only the left channel of the
sound card.  I name the entry window for the PK232 as the "right" radio
even though I'm keying the same radio.  One computer, one radio.

> For the DXP38 and another sound and the right radio wouldn't you need
>
> Comm5 for the Right radio keying
> Comm6 for the DXP38

Second radio is controlled by a second computer.  The two computers are
networked thus making up my SO2R setup.  Everything with the 2nd radio
is completely separate from the first radio.  The only thing common is the
network connection and sharing the antenna switching system.  I will simply
configure the 2nd radio/computer the same as the first using a DXP38 in the
same place as the PK232 on the first computer/radio.

> Maybe I have too many comm ports, but I don't understand your configuration.
> Please enlighten me (or is that a competetive secret?)

I guess you could do it all on one computer with a BUNCH of COM ports but
not advisable.  You'd need a 25" monitor at least!  I prefer two separate
stations
in my SO2R setup including using two computers and two monitors.

73, Don AA5AU