[WriteLog] That pesky "LSB is really FSK"/Wayne Question

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] That pesky "LSB is really FSK"/Wayne Question
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 23:19:24 -0500
"LSB is really FSK..." is the essence of what makes WriteLog such a great
program.  Enabling rig control to satisfy AFSK operation within the program
and show it as RTTY or PSK31 when logged is quite an accomplishment by
Wayne.

Perhaps it needs to be presented better within the help files, but I don't know.
Anyone using this program to log digital contacts should be intimately aware
of "LSB is really FSK..."

Even for us FSK operators, when we use PSK31, it applies.  It's always been
checked "on" for any RTTY contest I've operated.  The only exception was
for A.R.I. where all three modes are considered.

"Pesky" it is not.  It works just as Wayne says.  For RTTY only contests, it
is turned on once you set it "on".  I just tested this.  I've just operated the
A.R.I.
contest last weekend - RTTY only.  I brought up the log and it did not have
"LSB is really FSK..." checked.  While in the program, I chose to start a new
contest and chose next weekend's VOLTA's contest.  I went to "Bands" menu
and sure enough, "LSB is really FSK..." was already checked "on".

Education is the key here.  "LSB is really FSK..." is vital to know when
operating
digital with WriteLog.  Perhaps the command should read "LSB is really AFSK"?
I don't know that it would help educate the users, but when using LSB on the
digital modes, you are using AFSK and not FSK.  Sorry, just a pet peeve.

73, Don AA5AU