[WriteLog] W5XD+ Keyer Problem (or, how to do SO2R)

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] W5XD+ Keyer Problem (or, how to do SO2R)
From: Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 11:30:06 -0400
Writelog works exactly as it should for SO2R -- *if* you know how to use it!

First, you need to know that there are two kinds of entry window focus:
keyboard focus and transmit focus. The keyboard focus determines which entry
box you can type in. This is the window for dupe checking and logging.
Writelog shows you which window has the keyboard focus by lighting it up in
white. The transmit focus determines which radio will transmit. Writelog
shows you which window has the transmit focus with the little green oval to
the left of the window. The trick is that you can move the two focuses
separately. You also need to know that you can move the keyboard focus
without affecting  transmission, as long as you don't move the transmit
focus. When you move the transmit focus, Writelog will stop transmitting
before moving the focus.

The keystrokes for moving focus are as follows:

UP-ARROW or DOWN-ARROW        Move both keyboard and transmit focus
(transmission stops)
SHIFT-UP or SHIFT-DOWN                Move only the keyboard focus
(transmission does not stop)
CTRL-UP or CTRL-DOWN                  Move only the transmit focus
(transmission stops)

This allows you to start a CQ on one radio, then move the keyboard focus to
the other radio for dupe checking. But there's more. If you do this, then
hit any function key, Writelog will automatically stop the CQ, move the
transmit focus to the second radio, and send the message. Typically, you
will hit F4 to send your call. Try it. Best of all, Writelog can
automatically restart the CQ on the first radio after sending your call or
the exchange. Here's how it all comes together:

AUTOMATIC SO2R SWITCHING:

1. Edit your function keys so that the CQ message is preceded with a "%X"
(this will be explained later.)
2. Type ALT-T and set the time delay between repeated CQs.
3. Check the box that says "Auto Restart".
4. Use UP or DOWN to move both keyboard and transmit focus to the run radio.
5. Start a CQ.
6. Use SHIFT-UP or SHIFT-DOWN to move the keyboard focus to the other radio.
7. Split the audio so you have one radio in each ear.
8. S&P on the second radio. When you find a station to work, hit F4 to send
your call (if that's where you programmed it.)
9. The CQ will stop, the transmit focus will move to the second radio, your
call will be sent, and the CQ will be restarted on the first radio.
10. When the station answers you, hit the function key to send the exchange.
The sequence in step #8 will take place, but this time the exchange is sent.

This is one of WL's most powerful features. It takes some practice to get
used to it, but it works well. Note that if you are not comfortable with the
automatic sequence, you can do the steps manually.

I've tried this with the LATCH feature and it works OK, but I prefer to
simply split the audio. I think it's a matter of preference.

What about that "%X"? If this parameter is in a function key, WL will not
move the transmit focus when you hit that function key. The original reason
this was implemented was that some operators wanted WL to leave the transmit
focus on the first radio. I'm not sure how one would use this feature, but I
found a great side benefit for automatic SO2R: if you put %X in the CQ
message, then you can hit ESC to manually stop the CQ, then restart it
without the transmit focus jumping to the second radio (as it would without
%X..) This comes in handy when you need to temporarily stop the CQ to
concentrate on the second radio.

I have found that the automatic SO2R feature work best if you can reprogram
the keys on your keyboard and program keyboard macros. I set up my keyboard
as follows:

"-"     INSERT. Sends the message with the other guy's call and the
exchange. Key labeled "WORK".
"+"    LOG. Logs the contact. Key labeled "LOG".
"`"     SPLIT / UNSPLIT the audio (this is the key with "~" on it.).
Programmed as ATL-R + ENTER. Key labeled "STEREO/MONO".
"["     Move keyboard focus to other radio. Programmed as SHIFT-UP. Key
labeled "KBD"
"]"     Move transmit focus to other radio. Programmed as "CTRL-UP". Key
labeled "XMIT"
"\"     Move both keyboard and transmit focus to other radio. Programmed as
"UP". Key labeled "RADIO".

The idea is that your fingers don't have to travel far to access the
functions. My left hand is always poised above the STEREO/MONO key. One
quick tap toggles between split and unsplit audio (you need the W5XD+ keyer
for this to work.) My right hand is poised above the WORK and LOG keys, and
is very close to the KBD, XMIT and RADIO keys to shift the focus as needed.
Most of the time, I just have to hit KBD. Another side benefit to
programming the KBD and XMIT keys is that it helped prevent accidentally
hitting the UP or DOWN arrow and winding up in the log edit menu (which I
continue to believe is a *terrible* feature that we should be able to
disable if desired.)

I have a piece shareware that lets me redefine keys and assign macros to
keys. Unfortunately, it seems to be discontinued. However, there are lots of
keyboard remappers out there. You can search for one on www.shareware.com.

I hope this clarifies Writelog's fabulous automatic SO2R switching.

73, Dick WC1M