[WriteLog] Audio Compression Selection

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Audio Compression Selection
From: w1zt@mediaone.net (George Johnson)
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 10:08:53 -0400
We plan to record the Field Day log activity this weekend on a second
computer with WriteLog networked to the first machine.  All seems well in
the setup except for options for compression.

In an earlier post, Chas, K3WW, described his results with MPEG Layer-3
compression which sounded very promising for us.  However, I cannot find
that choice in my "list" of compression selections.  I get items like PCM,
CCITT, Lernout & Hauspie etc but no MPEG.  My tests are showing something
like 960MB for a 24 hour record.  This is about double what the MPEG choice
would produce.  I also see that MP3 is mentioned in the Help section.

I am running WL v10.26B.  Have there been changes in the compression
choices?  Can someone recommend a compression scheme for our one radio CW
operation?  I was testing with PCM, 11 Kb/s 8 bit Mono.  Quality seems OK
but storage looks like about 40 MB/hr.

Thanks,
George .. W1ZT