[WriteLog] Re: UBN DJ7AA SOSB20H

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Re: UBN DJ7AA SOSB20H
From: martyt@pobox.com (Marty Tippin)
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 13:28:46 -0700 (PDT)
Wil -

Did the other stations (DL3XM, DF4PL, DK1BT) submit their log to
the contest judges?

Or did they appear in "enough" other submitted logs to make the
call "valid"?? (not sure how many logs a station needs to appear
in for CQWW RTTY -- for CQWW CW and SSB, I think it's 3 or more,
but don't quote me on that.)

If not, there's no way to verify that those were valid QSOs.
I've got dozens of "friends" whom I could add to every contest
log I submit, but if they don't appear in the logs of other
contestants, I'm never going to get credit for them.

Which brings up the point of "casual" contesters -- those who
just hand out a few contacts here or there -- if they don't make
a point of contacting *several* stations, they run a pretty good
risk of having the QSOs they do make get tossed out of the other
station's log when it's checked.

Now, on the other hand, if the specific calls you mention *did*
submit their logs, then there could be a bug in the Cabrillo log
checking software, but I seriously doubt that, as it's been
exercised quite thoroughly by Eddie and others.

BTW - it's really not appropriate to complain to Eddie and copy
the reflectors for all the world to see. This would have been
better handled in private.  But then, as Eddie said in his
announcement about UBNs being available, "The decisions of the
contest committee are final" - so there's not much point in
complaining about it anyway...

-Marty NW0L
 martyt@pobox.com