[WriteLog] Dell 330 scores 7F !

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Dell 330 scores 7F !
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 22:10:51 -0500
Byron and all interested, I have some GOOD, if not confusing, news!  Byron
had reported with disappointment that his new Dell 330 only scored a paltry
61 with the WL sbrdchk program.  Based on that report, I decided to order
mine with the Soundblaster Live Value PCI card installed.  Of course, the SB
Live scored the expected 7f.

Last night I enabled the Integrated Sound in the Setup menu during boot (F2)
and DISabled the SB Live.  When I ran sbrdchk, I still got 7f.  However, WL
was still using the SB Live - I knew this for sure because my rig audio was
still plugged into that card and I could see/print the audio in Rttyrite.  I
couldn't figure out at the time how to point Writelog to the Integrated
sound.

Then tonight I PHYSICALLY REMOVED the Soundblaster Live from the computer
and enabled the Integrated sound.  The Soundblaster mixer is no longer
listed in the Device Manager.  When I ran sbrdchk, I got 7f - FULL SUPPORT!

This is using WIN2000(SP2).  I know Byron used WIN2000 - not sure about the
Service Pack, but that's probably not the difference between the sbrdchk
scores.  I also have IE6 and OE6 installed on this machine now, FWIW.

Using the Integrated Sound, Writelog receives and prints just as would be
expected, EXCEPT:  If I hit alt-K or click in the ENTRY or Rttyrite windows,
the sound mixer switched the Recording Properties from LINE IN to CD
Playback!  I can transmit OK, but as soon as the transmit is finished, I
have no audio until I click the Recording Properties back from CD Audio to
LINE IN!  Anyone know how to make it stop that?!  Otherwise it's fine!

I will modify my sound card survey results page to reflect my experience,
but I will leave Byron's post there until/unless he can report later
results.  http://www.qsl.net/wa9als/sound_results.htm

I know there's some info on K9JY's site about pointing WL to a specific
soundcard, but I don't quite understand it.  If someone thinks they might
know how to point Writelog to the Integrated Sound -and- to the SB Live card
so that both sides of the contest exchange can be recorded, please let me
know.  I know that some are doing that with 2 PCI cards, but I'm not sure
about a combination of Integrated and PCI.

Thanks - hope this helps someone.  The 330 is a great machine - especially
with the Matrox Dual Head monitor card and 2 monitors!  73 - John (WA9ALS)