[WriteLog] PSK operating advice needed....

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] PSK operating advice needed....
From: sentek@sprintmail.com (Floyd Sense)
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 17:24:14 -0400
I've used Writelog in a few contests, and have a good grasp of its setup,
operation, etc.  I was working a few CW contacts in the FD test today using
Writelog, and decided I'd take a look at changing the mode to PSK and making
a few contacts there.  I read the help file on the subject, and have
everything working in pieces, but the integration and operation just doesn't
make sense to me yet.  Perhaps I'm missing something.  Here are some
questions:

First, let me say that I'm proficient in the setup and use of PSK, RTTY,
etc.  However, I have NOT previously used the RITTY program, which seems to
be where the Writelog RTTY support came from.

I can open the RITTY window, change the mode to PSK31, and receive PSK13
signals correctly, no problem.  What I'm apparently missing is how one
interacts with the RITTY window and the main Writelog window and associated
sub-windows.  For example, with the RITTY window open, I tune to a signal
using the Writelog PSK Control window and copy the station.  At that point,
I mouse on a call I want to work and Writelog switches to the main window,
with the call filled in.  So far, so good.  Now, I find that while I set up
the buffers to use PSK, including the %E at the end of messages to switch
back to receive, when I hit an F key to send a stored buffer, it isn't sent.
I determined that to be because the rig is in USB mode (for PSK31) and
Writelog won't send the buffers unless I'm either in CW mode or FSK mode.
What am I missing here?  I have a feeling this is somehow related to the old
"LSB is really FSK" item, since I notice if I set the  mode to LSB, it works
OK.  Except, of course, the rig is also set to LSB now.  Not a problem as
long as we're running BPSK.

Next, after I complete that contact, how do I get back to the RITTY screen
again?  I know I can get there via alt-tab, but is that really what you have
to do?

Help!

K8AC