[WriteLog] Alt-K

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Alt-K
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 06:56:12 -0500
> I forgot to mention this in my Alt-K post this evening, but the
> symptoms that John, WA9ALS and Dave are reporting, I get when
> using my DXP-38 stand-along with WriteLog - exactly.

And equally interesting, I have -never- seen anything like these alt-k
problems using my HAL DXP-38 with Writelog, which I have done a lot.  I hit
alt-k, it comes up idling, transmits the text I type, then shuts down with
the 2nd press of alt-k.

There's another very important piece of this discussion we should all be
clear on when we post our observations.  Those of us discussing "problems"
mention at least 2 kinds of "alt-k" windows, and we need to be very specific
to help those who might be able to figure this out.

The 2 windows involved are:

1.  "ALT-K Window" - This is what normally comes up when you hit alt-k.
When it comes up, the rig usually starts idling, then text goes out when you
type, and it closes and the rig stops when you hit the second alt-k.

2.  "TYPE-AHEAD Window" - This is the window that comes up when you normally
select Type-Ahead" from the File menu of the Rttyrite window (the print
window).  THis is the one that has RECEIVE and TRANSMIT buttons.  This one
does -not- put the rig into transmit when it comes up, so good for casual
QSOing.  You type your text in there, then hit the transmit button or alt-t
when it's your turn.

Hitting a series of ALT-K's here will bring up various combinations of the 2
windows above as previously described.  The "ALT-K" window -never- transmits
correctly here, but once I get to the Type Ahead window, I can at least
transmit.  Then there's that -one- time that I hit alt-k and the "ALT-K"
window came up as expected and the rig -did- transmit in idle, but as I
typed, the text appeared in black in the Rttyrite window and the characters
were not sent - the rig just idled!  HI

I hope the programmers are trying to read all this stuff we're posting -
Despite Don's success, I really think there's a problem that many/most of us
will have with alt-k.  It can't be written off to an RFI or specific
computer configuration problem.

Good luck to all....  Too bad I have to go to work - I'd like to keep
reading here and working with the program!  Unfortunately the programmers
have other things to do also, so we will be very patient, right??  73  ;-)

P.S.  I also think it's worth fixing, EVEN for contesters!  HI