[WriteLog] CW Interface for Write Log

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] CW Interface for Write Log
From: af5z@inetport.com (Bob Helms)
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 18:16:10 -0500
Hi Paul,

If you are running Windows 95 or 98 you can use parallel printer (LPT)
port keying of any rig with Write Log.  I believe WinNT/2000 requires
you use a serial (COM) port for CW keying.

Install and run the Write Log software...

Click HELP on the top menu bar.

Click HELP TOPICS on the pulldown menu.

Click the FIND tab at the top of the HELP screen and then click in
the entry window "1 TYPE THE WORD YOU WISH TO FIND" to position your
cursor there.

Type interfacing   (use lower-case letters).

Click on the second word INTERFACING in the window "2 SELECT SOME MATCHING
WORDS TO NARROW YOUR SEARCH".

Double-click on CW INTERFACING in the window "3 CLICK ON THE ITEM YOU WANT THEN
CLICK DISPLAY".

Build the circuit titled "LPT PORT CW INTERFACE" shown on the bottom of the
help
file page.

You will need a DB-25P (male) 25-pin plug to fit the back of your PC
on the interface and whatever type plug fits the KEY jack on your rig.

The only other alternatives to this approach are:

1.) Use a serial port and the "COM PORT CW INTERFACE" circuit shown in
the Write Log HELP file.

2.) Build or purchase the W5XD+ External Keyer which connects to a serial
(COM) port and provides CW keying outputs.

-       -       -

I'm unfamiliar with the ZS4ATX Array Solutions keyer you mentioned.
Unless it is designed to use the same pins from either the serial or
parallel port of your PC for input then it WILL NOT be compatible with
Write Log.

-       -       -

The BEST source of Write Log documentation is the HELP file.  Good
alternatives are:

http://www.writelog.com

You may download a printable version of the HELP file from the
DOWNLOAD section in order to get a paper manual.

http://www.k9jy.com/

http://contesting.com/_writelog/                        (This link may be
wrong!)
                                                (I'm referring to the archives)
                                                (of the Write Log email
reflector.)

I'll leave the answers to RTTY and SSB interfacing to others with more
experience.

Good Luck,

Bob Helms, AF5Z
af5z@inetport.com