[WriteLog] Some Networking Setup Information

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Some Networking Setup Information
From: na2na@vqsl.net (William Liporace)
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 22:58:49 -0500
Sorry for this long reply. I hope it helps a bit.

I have been very interested in the threads about networking WriteLog,
Windows, the Internet and computers.  There are a lot of different practices
and ways of accomplishing similar results.  All of these have their good and
bad points.

I will not even try to cover it all here, but I will be more than happy to
get more serious if asked. I do work in a networking environment. I am a
Certified Network Administrator. To give you an idea. I have usually 5 - 8
PCs networked in my home (I also hook up the two family PCs as well), some
are full blown Network servers, other are just PCs (Netware, Linux, Win2K,
Win98, Win95). Almost all of the gear is used or hand me downs, you do not
have to be fancy. I use dial up Internet access (high speed not available
yet... soon I hope).  I use a private IP range for the house. It has no
outside connection to the Internet.  My son can not get out to the Internet
via my PC when I am on the Internet.

I like IP for a protocol. It has public and private IP address ranges.
Private IP addresses can NOT be routed over the Internet. This does NOT mean
that if some one finds your network, they can not access your network files
and or info!!!

The theory of keeping it simple is good.  Actually it is very good.  I
always start with the basics and expand from there. Get familiar with
networking basics. If my network breaks, I start going back till it is
fixed. There are no real short cuts. Take one step at a time and go from
there.

First look at your plans.
How many computers?
If you have more than two computers you will want a hub/switch or a router.
The only exception is if you create a coax bus network (10base2)(Not hard,
but lots of rules). The costs will go from very low (under $50) to as much
as you want. Some of this will be determined by question two:

Internet Access?  Dedicated or Dial up Access? If you have full time
Internet access, I strongly recommend a cable, DSL, or similar router. This
is a simple firewall (hardware) at a minimal cost. They typically convert
public IP addresses (Internet) to private IP addresses (intranet-local).
Not as much need in a modem or dial up environment unless you have your PC
connected to the Internet full time via a modem. Software firewalls like
Black Ice are Cool and do work. There are a few choices out there for people
to try, use and some are free.

What do I want to spend? All of these can have an effect on your over all
decisions.  You can now pick up 10 MB network cards for under $10 and hubs
for under $30.  I have used D-Link, 3-Com, Novell, HP, NetGear and many
other cards. I have used from simple hubs, hubs with print servers to
switches and routers. Drivers for almost any network card is available on
the Internet. There are lots of places to search for drivers.

GOOD, UPDATED VIRUS software is VERY IMPORTANT!!!!  If major corporations
can get infected so can you!!  Keep your OS and browsers patched. Be aware
odd e-mail viruses. If you do not know the source, delete it!! Hey if it is
that important, they will let you know when the million dollar check is in
the mail.

There are LOTS of sites that have networking info. There are some great
books on networking. There is writer Laura Chapel, who does nothing but
write about IP networking and security.... She makes a living teaching all
about IP.  This puts it in perspective for you. I am just skimming the
surface for you.

If you want to a quick private IP address range, I like:
10.10.10.1 to 10.10.10.254 with a reasonable subnet like 255.255.252.0 or
255.255.255.0. This is one example. With this range you can have over 200
computers on the same network. If you need more let me know :-)

73 and Happy Networking..... Will

William Liporace NA2NA
763 Huntingdon Drive
Niskayuna, NY 12309