[WriteLog] PSK31 tuning

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] PSK31 tuning
From: gbaron@home.com (Gil Baron)
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 16:43:46 -0500
--=====================_87061137==_.ALT

I am wondering if I have a setup problem or an interface problem of some sort.

RTTYrite does a FINE job of decoding RTTY.
It does a VERY poor job on PSK31. By that I mean it seems like the signal
keeps dropping in level. IT is as though someone were turning my sound card
down on me.
If I use AFC and click on a peak it decodes ti and seems to hold it quite
well. After a time it drops a fair amount in volume so that it is barely
decoding it anymore..
If I use NET and click on a signal, it moves to the midpoint as it should
but even a signal that was almost full window high is now less than 1/4
window. Only if the signal is already near the center does it seem to stay
at the same level. It is not a problem with my radio or my sound card as ti
works perfectly on RTTY and in Zakanaka I can decode signals aver at LEAST
a 3 Khz band with no drop in level and no problem decoding.
What may I be doing wrong, or is the PSK decoder in WriteLog just not very
good?

Gil Baron http://members.home.com/gbaron
W0MN 44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'
"Baila como nadie te ve"

--=====================_87061137==_.ALT

I am wondering if I have a setup problem or an interface problem of some
sort.<br><br>
RTTYrite does a FINE job of decoding RTTY.<br>
It does a VERY poor job on PSK31. By that I mean it seems like the signal
keeps dropping in level. IT is as though someone were turning my sound
card down on me.<br>
If I use AFC and click on a peak it decodes ti and seems to hold it quite
well. After a time it drops a fair amount in volume so that it is barely
decoding it anymore..<br>
If I use NET and click on a signal, it moves to the midpoint as it should
but even a signal that was almost full window high is now less than 1/4
window. Only if the signal is already near the center does it seem to
stay at the same level. It is not a problem with my radio or my sound
card as ti works perfectly on RTTY and in Zakanaka I can decode signals
aver at LEAST a 3 Khz band with no drop in level and no problem
decoding.<br>
What may I be doing wrong, or is the PSK decoder in WriteLog just not
very good?<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
eudora="autourl">http://members.home.com/gbaron</a><br>
W0MN 44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'<br>