[WriteLog] Country designation help needed.

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Country designation help needed.
From: w8ho@qsl.net (Frank Norton II)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 09:28:12 -0500
--=====================_86052305==_.ALT

Hello Barry,

There are a few ways to fix this "problem".  I believe it best to KISS,
Keep It Simple and Sure!  A couple of the ways to change the log occur
before final preparation of ur Cabrillo or ASCII files.  This can result in
WriteLog "self-correcting" ur repairs back to the original form.  So u end
up submitting the errors anyway.  By doing the corrections on the final
documents, u avoid the possibility of WriteLog Self-correcting the info.

If u only have a few corrections to make--say less than 25--make a list of
which QSO numbers are affected, and the pertinent data.  I only list the
correct data, the way I want the log to appear.  Once u have ur list, go
ahead and generate ur "Working Copy" of ur logs, I always use working copy
in the name so there is no possibility of this version being
submitted.  This working copy still contains the errors that we will get
rid of in the next step.

I wud save a back-up of the working copy to a floppy as well (the usual
safety precautions).  At this point u simply look-up each QSO  in ur ASCII
text editor (I STRONGLY RECOMMEND NOTETAB PRO, OR AT A MINIMUM NOTETAB LITE
freeware from: http://www.fookes.com/notetab/index.html, these text editors
are far more powerful than notepad and have a simple check box in setup so
they replace notepad anytime u need a text editor).  U can make these
changes in WriteLog "view" after u generate the working copy if u remember
to check the little square on the screen that says something like view logs
after generation.

Make ur changes, then of course change the score if any of the errors are
that significant. Recheck ur list to be sure ur logs reflect the changes u
wanted---> Save as FINAL LOG and submit!  NOTE:  When u are entering data
changes i can do it 2 ways.  First, u can simply change to the correct
info, or in other cases it is better to enter "notes".  In this case it wud
simply be ZL75=ZL1, with the appropriate change in the country or QTH field
from Chatham Isl. to New Zealand.

Once u have finished all of ur changes I would save them and close out for
a few hours *or overnight, then come back and have a look with a fresh
viewpoint.  It's saved me from sending in logs with errors on a few occasions!

At this point I keep 3 copies, one on my Hard Drive with all my other
WriteLog files, one on the Floppy with the working copy, and finally on a
ZIP Disk Archive, which has all of my logs ever submitted by
computer.  This zip disk also has copies of the logs I prepared on my PC
then printed and mailed in before computer logs were common.

Good  luck with ur log submission, Barry.

73 de Frank W8HO