[WriteLog] Save problems

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Save problems
From: clive@gw3njw.fsworld.co.uk (Clive Whelan)
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 00:28:43 -0000
At the weekend I experienced an annoying problem, bordering on
the serious.

viz. After the QSO total got to about 1500, I noticed the save
operation taking longer, and locking out the QSO entry screen
for a significant time.

But the end as I was on 2,900 Qs ( as GW7X) the recovery of the
QSO window was only just in time to log the next caller (
sending at 28 wpm using the  W5XD keyer). It is predictable that
at some point not much over 3000Qs, this would have become very
serious, and limited QSO rate.

Now bear in mind that I am only a pop gun using vertical
antennas on all bands, and using a tribander I would have
expected to gross well over 4,000 Qs. If that had happened in
the contest I would have been mortified.

Note also that I am only suing a 200Mhz Pentium with 32Mb of
RAM. I do have a faster machine nearing completion/installation,
but unfortunately this does not have the complement of ports
that the old machine has, and I would dearly like to retain the
old clonker, and not just for the occasions that I need to
revert to TR ( DOS) for contests not supported by WL; perhaps as
a networked machine in a multi/multi environment.

Is there any way that the save operation can be speeded up,
perhaps by caching in some way?

tia

73

Clive