[WriteLog] RE: WriteLog digest, Vol 1 #206 - 10 msgs

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] RE: WriteLog digest, Vol 1 #206 - 10 msgs
From: dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 12:37:50 -0500
> This is how it works.  And it is great!
>
> The trick to do what you want is to use Shift+arrow to move the
> window focus
> but leave the transmit focus where it was.  Grab the spot and
> then press the
> appropriate F key.
>
> I have never figured out what %X is supposed to do.
>
> Randy, K5ZD

If you prefix a message with %X, Writelog will not move the transmit focus
to the radio with keyboard focus when you press that function key. As I
recall, it means, "Xmit focus stays put" (or something like that.) In
effect, it overrides normal SO2R switching for a particular F-key message.

The main reason for this feature is that one person vigorously complained
about the switching -- he didn't think that pressing a function key should
cause the transmit focus to switch. I've never been able to figure out why
he thought so (i.e., how exactly he was using Writelog for SO2R.)

With one exception (see below), %X should *not* appear in F-key messages.

There is one useful thing you can do with %X. If you prefix your F1 (CQ)
message with %X, you can restart an aborted CQ without having to move the
keyboard focus back to the S&P radio. For example, let's say you have a CQ
going on the run radio and the keyboard focus is on the S&P radio. The
station you are chasing on the S&P radio is very weak and hard to hear, so
you hit ESC to stop the CQ so you won't be distracted. Once you get the call
or make the contact, you hit F1 to restart the CQ. Since the CQ message
begins with %X, the transmit focus stays on the run radio and that's where
the CQ is sent. Without %X, the transmit focus would jump to the S&P radio
and the CQ would be sent there. If you don't use %X in the CQ message, then
you would have to move the keyboard focus back to the run radio, hit F1,
then move the keyboard focus back to the S&P radio. It's an obscure feature,
but comes in handy every now and then.

73, Dick WC1M