[WriteLog] Win98 stalling

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Win98 stalling
From: benlightnd13@home.com (Jerry Ford)
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 13:44:14 -0600
Hey gang:

This is off the subject but I figured some of you could answer this
for me and save me some problems later.
I just ordered Writelog and I see from some of the posts here that PC
speed can be an issue.
I'm running Win98 second addition upgrade with an AMD 300 K6 and 256
megs of RAM.
( recently upgraded the machine in speed, OS and RAM )
I'm noticing that when I add several shortcut icons to my desktop that
my PC gets slower in loading pages and moving from screen to screen.
( like moving from page to page on e-bay )
I remember reading somewhere that adding a lot to the desktop would
slow things down but I don't remember why and what I needed to do to
offset the problem.
(short of removing all my shortcuts.)
So, I'll put this one out to all you who are Windows literate.  Why
does my PC slow down when I load up the desktop?  How do I fix the
problem without removing all my shortcuts?
I know this is off the subject but I don't want this to be an issue in
the middle of a contest and end up coming back to you asking why my
system crashed.
So,  thanks for the bandwidth.
Hope everyone had a good time with the 160.
72 / 73  Jerry         N0JRN