[WriteLog] 10M Contest - Opportunities for Improvement

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] 10M Contest - Opportunities for Improvement
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 19:38:12 EST
--part1_28.1f940761.294fe9f4_boundary

There were a number of opportunities I noticed for improvement in WriteLog's
10M template.

First, entering a call in the entry window should pop up the logical QTH in
the QTH field, like VE2 = QC. W6 = CA. When there is no logical QTH, it can
be blank, unless you have worked the station on the other mode, then it
should pop up the QTH or the number given in the first QSO. NA handles this
quite well.

Second, using the W9XT card, the Writelog.ini file requires different F key
mapping for phone and CW, so I could use all the features on one mode or the
other. Also, I could only use the repeat CQ feature on one mode or the other
or have to change settings every time I changed mode.

The band map was also cumbersome changing back and forth between CW and
Phone. The band map also showed partial calls entered in the data entry
screen. There were lots of JA1 and K2S type entries where the entire call was
not copied before entering the QTH information.

The rate meter would lose the "time on - time off" when I closed the program.
The only way I got an accurate time on-off calculation was to add up the
information from one of the rate reports.

In the data entry screen, the cursor should return to where you left off
filling in a partial call, not at the beginning of the call. The packet
options should include "10M" so the spots can be seen on both modes, not just
CW, Phone or All Bands.

Just some ideas for improvement

Tom, K5RC/NV7A

--part1_28.1f940761.294fe9f4_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial"
LANG="0">There were a number of opportunities I noticed for improvement in
WriteLog's 10M template.<BR>
<BR>
First, entering a call in the entry window should pop up the logical QTH in the
QTH field, like VE2 = QC. W6 = CA. When there is no logical QTH, it can be
blank, unless you have worked the station on the other mode, then it should pop
up the QTH or the number given in the first QSO. NA handles this quite well.<BR>
<BR>
Second, using the W9XT card, the Writelog.ini file requires different F key
mapping for phone and CW, so I could use all the features on one mode or the
other. Also, I could only use the repeat CQ feature on one mode or the other or
have to change settings every time I changed mode.<BR>
<BR>
The band map was also cumbersome changing back and forth between CW and Phone.
The band map also showed partial calls entered in the data entry screen. There
were lots of JA1 and K2S type entries where the entire call was not copied
before entering the QTH information.<BR>
<BR>
The rate meter would lose the "time on - time off" when I closed the program.
The only way I got an accurate time on-off calculation was to add up the
information from one of the rate reports.<BR>
<BR>
In the data entry screen, the cursor should return to where you left off
filling in a partial call, not at the beginning of the call. The packet options
should include "10M" so the spots can be seen on both modes, not just CW, Phone
or All Bands. <BR>
<BR>
Just some ideas for improvement<BR>
<BR>