[WriteLog] on the fly recording

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] on the fly recording
From: aa4nu@ix.netcom.com (Billy Cox)
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 22:27:56 -0600
>I read the manual and can't seem to get this to work. If I understand
>correctly, to record on the fly, for say the message saved for F2, you hold
>down the shift and F2 key and start recording. To end you hit the escape
>key?
>
>Well I tried this and no go. Is there an indication that you are recording?
>I've never seen anything.
>
>What (hopefully) simple thing am I missing? the pre-recorded
>messages play with no trouble.

Indeed ... as I am still struggling here to get a sound card to have
the same quality audio as my K1EA card ... Please make the GREEN
(L) or (R) rig indicator blink when you are recording, and turn RED
when the sound card is transmitting (like it turns colors for RTTY
when you use the lockout feature) ... so there ARE options to consider.

I have also noticed that if you hit "Escape" more than one, the
message may not be saved ... and practice as getting the memory
'right' to have ONLY what you want is much more difficult than with
the K1EA (or W9XT) units ... as in not have the trash or a pop at the end.

The use of this sound card for DVK is a MAJOR area that WL
needs to both improvement the options, and also the ease of
using the sound card.

I REALLY got frustrated with having to keep WL open, the WL
Mixer program, and the Windows sound card program to understand
what everyone else was getting so frustrated about ... you don't have,
and should NOT have those kinds of problems of spending so dang
much time trying to get decent recording for the contest. Either fix this,
or add the right support for the W9XT AND the K1EA units ...

I don't want audio that sounds LlliiKkkkkEeeee from the sound card and
the CPU getting crossed up as to cycle issues. Using the sound card
for SSB seems to have the very same type of issues of using the
pc to send CW with the proper keying. Using a K1EA or W9XT card
would be the same as using the external W5XD CW keyer no ?????

So IF using the W5XD is  the preferred end solution for ensure the
CW keying is 100%, then add the changes needed to use a
dedicated voice keyer, <a sound card is NOT, as there are multiple
uses for it> or offer a dedicated W5XD voice card. Just as folks invest
in the W5XD box for CW (and as those of us with the K1EA/W9XT
units did for SSB) offer some method to ensure that WL's keying is
quality on ALL modes.

Having said that ... the one variable here IS the sound card, mine
test as "7F, with full duplex" ... but that's no guarantee that it's a easy
job. These seem to allows an amount of 'trash' from the pc ... that
does not exist with the dedicated voice keyers. I have decided
that some cards work great at first pass, others need tweaking,
and then there may be some that despite "scores", will never work
very well. That' probably why K6STI stated ONLY certain brand
and model sound cards would work with his software.

Move up to a standard voice keyer just as the W5XD keyer provides
for CW, and this variable goes away ... and transmit quality goes up.

73 Billy AA4NU