[WriteLog] Solution for 756 Pro II problem

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Solution for 756 Pro II problem
From: kr6e@thevine.net (Ben Grokett)
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 09:34:00 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C19115.1CC1FAE0

After checking out several possibilities in not getting Writelog to =
properly control a new=20
Icom 756 Pro II,  I called Icom technical assistance where I was told =
that the data format between the 756, 756 Pro, and the Pro II were =
different.  This information threw me off the problem for a few days.... =
until I decided to call Icom back and talk to the technical assistance =
supervisor to confirm the information I was given (the initial answer =
just didn't sound right to me).   Indeed, the radios do share a common =
data format and Icom was very apologetic about giving me bum data.

At this point I called George, K5KG and we walked through all the =
possibilities together over the phone.  After checking out all the =
obvious things we decided to check out using the interface through one =
of the native ports (com1 or com2).  It worked!  For com ports 3-6 I use =
a 4 port PCI Rocketport card.  There is something not quite right about =
it because although it drove the Yaesu RS-232 interface without any =
problems it did not match up with the CT-17 (for whatever reason).   I =
pulled the Rocketport card and put in two of the SIIG single-port =
serial-parallel cards.  They are self installing pci cards that are uart =
controlled and considerably more versatile than the Rocketport card.  =
Cost to me was about 50 bucks each but now I have a working rig control =
system via Writelog.

Onions to the Icom technical assistance people who put me off the scent =
for a few days.... and roses to all on the reflector who offered =
suggestions toward solving this=20
problem.

73  Ben,  KR6E

kr6e@thevine.net

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C19115.1CC1FAE0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>After checking out several possibilities in not =
getting=20
Writelog to properly control a new </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Icom 756 Pro II,&nbsp; I called Icom technical =
assistance=20
where I was told that the data format between the 756, 756 Pro, and the =
Pro II=20
were different.&nbsp; This information threw me off the problem for a =
few=20
days.... until I decided to call Icom back and talk to the technical =
assistance=20
supervisor to confirm the information I was given (the initial answer =
just=20
didn't sound right to me).&nbsp;&nbsp; Indeed, the radios do share a =
common data=20
format and Icom was very apologetic about giving me bum =
data.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>At this point I called George, K5KG and we walked =
through all=20
the possibilities together over the phone.&nbsp; After checking out all =
the=20
obvious things we decided to check out using the interface through one =
of the=20
native ports (com1 or com2).&nbsp; It worked!&nbsp; For com ports 3-6 I =
use a 4=20
port PCI Rocketport card.&nbsp; There is something not quite right about =
it=20
because although it drove the Yaesu RS-232 interface without any =
problems it did=20
not match up with the CT-17 (for whatever reason).&nbsp;&nbsp; I pulled =
the=20
Rocketport card and put in two of the SIIG single-port serial-parallel=20
cards.&nbsp; They are self installing pci cards that are uart controlled =
and=20
considerably more versatile than the Rocketport card.&nbsp; Cost to me =
was about=20
50 bucks each but now I have a working rig control system via=20
Writelog.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Onions to the Icom technical assistance people who =
put me off=20
the scent for a few days.... and roses to all on the reflector who =
offered=20
suggestions toward solving this </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>problem.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>73&nbsp; Ben,&nbsp; KR6E</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:kr6e@thevine.net";>kr6e@thevine.net</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>