[WriteLog] 10.28D / 10.29 Problems

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] 10.28D / 10.29 Problems
From: lintitus@nbnet.nb.ca (Lin Titus)
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 17:47:36 -0400
Hopefully, some of you will be able to offer me some suggestions on how to
overcome a couple of problems I seem to have created for myself over the
past weekend.

My setup is a 500Mhz computer with 256 Mb of RAM connected to an Icom
756Pro.

Just prior to participating in the Canada Winter Contest this past Saturday,
I upgraded to Version 10.29E. When I tried to operate cw I found that the cw
was distorted to the point it was unreadable.

Since I wanted to use cw, I uninstalled 10.29E and reinstalled 10.28D which
had worked perfectly on both ssb and cw previously. When I booted up 10.28D,
I got a message saying "An unsupported operation was attempted". I clicked
on the OK button and the RAC Winter Contest form came up as it should.
However, while it worked ok for logging contacts, it would not give me the
country or the bearing when I entered a callsign. I ran cw and ssb
successfully for the rest of the contest with these two deficiencies.

After the contest was over I reinstalled 10.29E and when I booted it up, it
also gave me the "An unsupported operation was attempted" message. Clicking
on the OK button again allowed the contest form to come up. However, it now
also does not give either the country or bearing when a callsign is entered.
And the cw is still distorted.

At this point I would like to go back to 10.28D so the cw will be ok.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to...

1. Avoid receiving the "An unsupported operation was attempted"
2. Get the COUNTRY and BEARING functions active again when a callsign has
been entered (I do have the BEAM HEADING menu choice already checked).

Also, any thoughts on how to overcome the distorted cw produced by 10.29E
would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any possible comments.

Happy New Year.

Lin  VE9FX