[WriteLog] FT847 and RTTY

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] FT847 and RTTY
From: jflanders2@home.com (Jerry Flanders)
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 11:09:24 -0500
The FT847 does not have a dedicated RTTY mode, so you have to use it in the
SSB mode. I have both the optional SSB narrow filter (maybe 2.0 KHz- I
forget) and the CW narrow filter as well, but there doesn't seem to be a
way to use the CW filter when in the SSB mode.

That said, I have had lots of experience using my FT-847 in my camper with
PACTOR in the SSB mode. I use it to connect with the email system run by
the WinLink2000 guys on HF. The PACTOR demod (a KAM+, a PK232 also works
OK) doesn't seem to have any problem there, but I haven't watched it
closely when it is on - there might be a lot of repeat requests I don't notice.

One of these days I plan to try my FT-847 on RTTY. I expect it will do OK
when coupled with a good sound card demodulator. I am using MMTTY on RTTY.

I would set up to use the FT847 and have the 751 in reserve with cables
ready to changeover to the 751 quickly if absolutely necessary. Don't
forget you have a passband shift control, and you can operate at the high
end of the contest freqs to reduce qrm if necessary.

Let me know how it works if you use it.

Jerry W4UK