[WriteLog] Byterunner USB-4COM-110V Experience ??

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Byterunner USB-4COM-110V Experience ??
From: weightdn@bright.net (Mike Rhodes)
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 09:25:07 -0500
Damon,
  The Byterunner PCI card is my next choice if it doesn't look like the usb
adapter is going to work but am still worried about conflicts with the PCI
card. I bought a no-name 2 port serial card (PCI) locally and could not get
it to work in W2K (my primary OS) or W98. In W98 the card driver installed
and the ports showed up ok but the PC locks up whenever I try to access the
ports. Port configuration appears normal and I can change the settings but
it dows not help. In W2K the driver installed ok too but for some reason it
chooses a wierd memory location for the ports and that location is not
available. Problem is, it won't let me change the memory location to what it
would normally be for additional serial ports. May just be a driver problem
but this card is so generic it doesn't have a name on it so I can try and
chase down a newer driver! Hopefully I will be a little smarter next time.
  Kind of like the idea of the external USB adapter since slots are getting
pretty precious on the new motherboards but if it won't work we'll just have
to keep plugging away until we find a solution.
  Thanks for your info.

Mike / W8DN

> I use the Byterunner (VScom PCI-800)  which gives 8 additional serial
ports.
> It works quite well in Win98 and in Redhat Linux version 7.1  In Win98
there
> was some problem in getting the board installed properly.  I had to
manually
> change the address space (in the Win98 System Hardware Setup) that the
board
> uses because it conflicted with the address space used by my USR 56K PCI
> modem board.
>
> Of course, the software must be able to see the extra available ports.
Many
> 32 bit applications are written to allow that.  I do not know about timing
> issues.   I am using the board for reading and writing to the RS-232
> interface of my 1000MP for Writelog and Logic 5 and also to control a HAL
> RTTY modem.  It also works fine in Hotsyncing with my Palm Vx device in
Win98